Wednesday, March 28, 2012

instance

Hello,
This is the present setup.
Server A --> sql server 2000
Server B --> sql server 2005
On my machine I point to an instance name of sql server 2000 to use. i.e.
sqlserver2000Server\instance1
On my local machine I have installed sql server 2000 and can use the
enterprise manager. Have the Admin rights.
I have setup a daily backup job on sql 2000...
On server B, I installed sql 2005. Restored the sql 2000 backup onto sql
2005. And now I have the sql 2000 database in sql server 2005.
Now I can use the sql 2005 by refering to the serverB name (Not an instance)
.
In Server A, the applications are using a login name (sql authentication)
i.e. username, password.
Questions
1) How do I install sql 2005 on my local machine (Remember that I have sql
2000)
2) If I should run the setup for sql 2005 on local machine, then during the
installation, do I give it an instance name or should this instance name be
done on the server i.e. server B ?
ThanksHi
> Questions
> 1) How do I install sql 2005 on my local machine (Remember that I have sql
> 2000)
SQL Server 2005 is going be a named instance. They can co-exist.

> 2) If I should run the setup for sql 2005 on local machine, then during
> the
> installation, do I give it an instance name or should this instance name
> be
> done on the server i.e. server B ?
On the server when you are running the installation script
"farshad" <farshad@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:55564446-FB63-4BC4-9C1E-599300E7A0CB@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> This is the present setup.
> Server A --> sql server 2000
> Server B --> sql server 2005
> On my machine I point to an instance name of sql server 2000 to use. i.e.
> sqlserver2000Server\instance1
> On my local machine I have installed sql server 2000 and can use the
> enterprise manager. Have the Admin rights.
> I have setup a daily backup job on sql 2000...
> On server B, I installed sql 2005. Restored the sql 2000 backup onto sql
> 2005. And now I have the sql 2000 database in sql server 2005.
> Now I can use the sql 2005 by refering to the serverB name (Not an
> instance).
> In Server A, the applications are using a login name (sql authentication)
> i.e. username, password.
> Questions
> 1) How do I install sql 2005 on my local machine (Remember that I have sql
> 2000)
> 2) If I should run the setup for sql 2005 on local machine, then during
> the
> installation, do I give it an instance name or should this instance name
> be
> done on the server i.e. server B ?
> Thanks|||Not sure if this make a difference but during the installation of sql server
2005 on the server i.e. server B, I chose the default instance.
Thanks
"Uri Dimant" wrote:

> Hi
> SQL Server 2005 is going be a named instance. They can co-exist.
>
> On the server when you are running the installation script
>
> "farshad" <farshad@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:55564446-FB63-4BC4-9C1E-599300E7A0CB@.microsoft.com...
>
>|||farshad (farshad@.discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Not sure if this make a difference but during the installation of sql
> server 2005 on the server i.e. server B, I chose the default instance.
Be careful when you install on ServerA. If you select "Default instance"
it will upgrade your SQL 2000 instance (if you have a default instance,
that is. This was a little unclear in your post.)
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...oads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodin...ions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment