Friday, March 30, 2012

instance of sql server

I am learning SQL Server 2005 and I was told to install a second instance of
SQL Server 2005 on my machine. How can I install a second instance of SQL
Server 2005 on my machine

I already installed SQL Server 2005, I guess this is my first instance. To
install a second instance, do I just run setup again?Yes, just run setup again to create a 'named' instance. Setup will ask you
for an instance name.

A computer can have up to 1 default instance (probably what you installed
initially) but many named instances. To connect to the default instance
after installation, specify only the computer name. For the named instance,
specify computer name and instance name separated by a backslash
('ComputerName\InstanceName').

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

"David" <david_vcp@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bMKdnc_BtsngZ9fZRVn-rg@.comcast.com...
>I am learning SQL Server 2005 and I was told to install a second instance
>of SQL Server 2005 on my machine. How can I install a second instance of
>SQL Server 2005 on my machine
> I already installed SQL Server 2005, I guess this is my first instance.
> To install a second instance, do I just run setup again?

No comments:

Post a Comment